Welcome to Jugaad Innovation!
JI was formed to develop and adopt open source software for municipalities with a goal to dramatically reduce cost thereby increasing access for rural, remote and disadvantaged municipalities and to increase public ownership of valuable data and information.
We have developed an open source asset management platform for Ashcroft, BC, overcoming a lack of resources through a cloud based Asset Management, GIS and Business Intelligence at nominal cost. This allows resources to be redirected to hiring a shared specialist in AM & GIS. It overcomes the hurdle of sourcing specialised skills and time in small rural municipalities with a limited staff.
Advantages of open source
Open source incorporates innumerable advantages for public sector development including:
- Freedom from vendor lock-in: Open source prevents vendor lock-in in the vendor’s specific technologies. Vendor lock-in exposes municipalities to price increases and lack of flexibility in addressing emergent needs.
- Freedom to be responsive & flexible: The open code allows the flexibility to easily and freely modify code and to add features.
- Software transparency & reliability: Open source code means just that—you get full visibility into the code base, as well as all discussions about how the community develops features and addresses bugs. Because there are more eyes on it, the reliability of open source code tends to be superior as well.
- Access & Inclusion: Due to its lower cost and access to shared expertise through a cloud based platform, small rural municipalities & first nations can now access sophisticated platforms and provide a level of service previously only accessible to larger and wealthier municipalities who could afford to hire technical staff.
- Frugality: Ability to save taxpayers tens of thousands per municipality by leveraging open source & using the cloud to develop shared services.
- Reporting transparency: By using open source BI frameworks which are not limited in distribution by the cost of licenses, we provide the ability to transparently share data and reports with the public & enhance understanding for council.
- Strengthening Municipal Commons: Encouraged public ownership of extremely valuable data & information.
Value Proposition – Redirect what would be spent on software licenses to a skilled Asset, GIS & BI manager.
Redirect resources from software licensing to provision of services. Our intent is to provision the SaaS at nominal cost so that the rest of the funds can be directed to a shared staff member with relevant expertise and focus. The annual cost of software licensing ranges from $20k to $30K even for the smallest municipalities. This can effectively pay for shared expertise in Asset Management, GIS and BI as long as the licence fees are eliminated. This eliminates the need to hire in-house staff while not compromising on a higher level of service.
The annual savings in software licences alone can easily add up to $30k which typically includes:
- GIS Software (ArcGIS EULA) ~$10k to $20k
- Asset Management Software Licence ~$10k+
- Web mapping software licence ~$10k
Furthermore, savings in setup & consulting typically range between $50K to $60K.
Benefits: Our solution will empower you to
- Easily meet grant funding requirements for asset management.
- Effortlessly gather capital asset stats for reports & surveys including the new LGDE requirements, UBCM reporting requirements, Stat Canada surveys etc.
- Manage assets proactively
- Visualize and map assets and parcels on GIS for internal use and for the public.
- Analyze and report on BI with full ability to customize
- Capture data in the field
- Share unlimited maps with unlimited usage with the public at no additional cost
- Manage multimedia, docs & spreadsheets tied to assets
- Create interactive BI reports for council & the public
- Create amortization reports with ease for your audits
- And much more…